Monday, March 14, 2011

Desert Tri

This was my second consecutive Desert International Triathlon. The coarse is just short of an Olymnpic distance (3/4 mile swim, 24 mile bike, 6 mile run) and is very flat and fast coarse. The scenery is spectacular, set right next to the base of the mountains in Lake Cahuilla Park (Palm Springs area). One of the things I enjoy the most about living in So Cal are the sunrises, especially in the desert. Driving east to Palm Springs @ 5am was a great opportunity to enjoy the morning, and mother nature did not disappoint!




During last years race the wind and rain started as soon as I finished the swim, which made for a very cold day. My hands were numb when I finished the bike, and it took me 5 minutes to get my running shoes on. The weather for this years race was about as perfect as you could get, 60-70 F with lots of sunshine and clear blue skies.

Conditions for all three segments were some of the best I have experienced; clean lake water, flat smooth asphalt (98% of the course), and a nice trail run around a lake. Add that to a small, well organized, grass roots triathlon and you can't ask for a better day!








As for my race...... I did beat my time by 5 minutes from last year due to a better bike and faster transitions (it helps when your fingers aren't numb). I had a tough swim and a slow run, seems there's always one or two things that make you want to come back and do better.... And to make the race one to never forget, I got some spit afterspray when a girl passed me on the bike and decided to "huck" one to the side.
Overall this a great race, and one that I plan on doing every year to start the season. Thanks to all the great volunteers and mother nature for providing a great experience (minus the spit)!



No comments:

Post a Comment