Friday, January 28, 2011

Carlsbad Marathon

There are many firsts in your life that are memorable. Whether they are happy moments or sad moments, the fact is you will never forget them. Last weekend I completed my first marathon in Carlsbad, and it was full of both happy and sad moments - with a lot of pain to make things interesting.

Race time was 6am, so the morning started early. The alarm went off at 4am, followed by a quick breakfast, and a 45 min drive from Temecula to Carlsbad. It was still dark when the race started, and the weather was a brisk 50ish. Fortunately the moon was a couple days past full, which made for some beautiful early morning running next to the ocean.

My plan for the race was to start slow, and walk every 3 miles to conserve the legs. The plan was going well for the first half of the race. There were a few additional walking breaks between miles 6-9 because of the 3 mile hill up Palomar Airport Rd away from the ocean. As I passed the half point, and reconnected with the ocean, my legs were starting to really hurt. From mile 13-18 we continued south along the ocean, turned around at mile 18 and ran the last 8 miles north up PCH back into Carlsbad. My mind and body went through a lot of battles those last 8 miles after the turn around point.

My goal was to finish the race in 4 hrs 30 minutes. After about mile 13, the time goal changed to 4:45. At mile 18 the time goal changed to 5 hrs. And at mile 22 the goal changed to just finishing. Well at 5 hrs and 15 min I crossed the finish line. It was certainly bittersweet; happy I finished and completed one of my life long goals, sad that I performed so badly.

It was a first I will always remember, and am grateful I had the strength to finish. I now have some memories that will drive me to improve my time for the next marathon. I got a colossal ass kicking in Carlsbad, and I know the next marathon will kick my ass as well - although next time I'm gonna do a little ass kicking myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment